Wednesday, October 3, 2012

FUTA and political vultures

, The Island

You can quote innumerable instances of, when two giants are drawn in to a gory scuffle, the birds of prey will come and land near, waiting for the carrion; rearing to gobble down the remains, even before the victims die. They are called "Vultures".

Your editorial of Sep 27, the response it received from a "Former Senior Professor in Political Science and Public Policy, University of Colombo", on 28th, and my good friend Ranjith Perera’s, rational comments on 29th, on FUTA’s latest moves, prompted me to look with equanimity, the sad plight of our academics and student population, without attempting to ‘gate-crash’ with my two cents worth in a highly intellectualised debate.

Those who took exception to your balanced analysis, obviously, are more interested in a ‘regime change’, for satisfying vested interests than settling the issue, and they belong to the above types. The worst are the disgruntled, desperate political rejects who were focusing their ‘Hawk-eyes’ from above, now being tolerated, are gleefully resting on the shoulders of the unwary.

Let me narrate an occurrence at the Book exhibition last week.

After spending a few hours glancing through the books, rather tired, I moved into a hall where a book launch was in progress, and occupied a vacant chair.

The speaker, quite a smart man in mid-thirties was discussing a new Sinhala novel by one of his students named, Sandamali. Though I lacked proficiency to appreciate his literary profundity, I was fascinated by his pleasant disposition, brilliant presentation techniques and the oratorical skills. In the midst of his speech he quite casually, but appropriately mentioned that for over two months he was out of work, and the poor salary of Rs 50,000,the modest man divulged, had forced him to stay away and stick with the rest.

I have come across hundreds of young people, in the same age group, with only GCE O/L, or even below that, earning three to four times his emoluments in the private sector, of which I was involved for over four decades. The basic qualifications required being good spoken English, contacts and marketing skills, all of which, trust me, the lecturer not only possessed in abundance, but displayed amply, except I’m afraid the language, where I missed a chance to asses him. I moved out, furious with authorities for their callous attitude toward the university teachers’ trade union action. Walking towards one of many ‘outlets’ around for a cup of tea, I came across a thatched-roof shed marked ‘Guru Gedara’, (some innovations this year), where a few elderly, very professional looking gentlemen, the panel, was seated on an old couch facing a diligent audience of about 20 to 30 on long wooden benches that reminded me the village ‘Bana Shalawa’. The insightful lively discussion on historical/social and cultural topics, involuntarily drew me in.

While the panel and audience were arguing or exchanging views on social behavioural patterns, in a relaxed enchanting environment, the chair deviated from the main theme and invited the audience to join in with any current topics. After a couple of others, came my turn; I used the opportunity to ask for the panel’s, presumably all ex-academics I believe, on their views on the on-going university dispute. The most senior head, explicitly declared, to a stunned audience that he had retired a few years ago as a senior professor on a salary scale starting with a meagre Rs 46,000/-a month, compared to almost four times, a same grade senior professor was entitled to at present.

Instead of changing my perceptions, I surmise that the main problem is the present salary anomaly. The scales of junior level teachers need urgent attention. I wonder why FUTA agitates for a flat increase of 20% , without first addressing immediate concerns and move ahead gradually?

However, the FUTA should beware of the hawk-eyed vultures looking for prey.

K. K. S. Perera

Panadura

No comments:

Post a Comment